Thursday, March 19, 2015

Gate 3: Old Gate - Learning from the past

A Mirror with 2 Faces?

I’ve watched and read a lot of stories about warriors who were crowned as kings because of how strong they were in battles. But when already sitting on the throne, fame and power swallowed them. But just a month ago, I met a young man, a crowned king who was very different from those I met in stories and movies.
                Like most heroes, he is strong and he loves to sing. His music style can even calm a tired-hearted king. But sadly, this sweet music also puts him at the edge of death in the hands of that jealous, furrowed-forehead king. This king who once was a good king was destroyed by his jealousy that led him to grab a spear and throw it to the young innocent man. To my surprise, the young man dodged and never threw a spear back despite the fact that he indeed could and many chances came for him to do that. He would not kill the king. He would not kill God’s anointed.
                How are you going to respond if the king you had served got jealous of you, ordered his men to hunt and kill you? Would you fight and kill him if you got the chance or you would run like what this young man did? For what he did, I admired him a lot.

                He ran and hid and with that he glorified the Lord more. He retreated to a cave alone to hide. Is he being coward? Would he allow injustice just like that? But has he not been anointed by Nathan to be the next king?  To our own measure, he maybe is a defeated, shattered man, the cave being his castle and darkness as his friend. But to the heavens, he is a broken man - the perfect condition for a mighty work. By running from the earthly king he ran toward the Heavenly King.
                The king continues to spear. The young man had another chance to throw spear back. But he did not. He would not. God has transformed him in the cave. He never used a sword but people around him loved and submitted to him as one with authority. He is not a weakling. He just didn’t want to be a mirror-image of the king trying to kill him. He is the true king. But he 
would not rebel to gain the kingdom. All he wants is to be the king that God made him to be.

                I looked at the mirror. I saw two different faces of kings – the growing tired proud, jealous king with his spear on his right hand,  and a young king trying to dodge and controlling himself not to hold the spear. I took a closer look of me.  The mirror showed the pride that is pulling me down and slowly destroying the crown of the present king residing in my heart. The growing proud king in me cannot stop himself from throwing a spear. The young innocent king in me tries to dodge, but his right hand got the spear and in an instant, he throws the spear back. Dismayed I closed my eyes. When I again took a glance, right there was the face of the proud king. He has successfully pulled me down and the young innocent king David is nowhere in sight.
                This fight is not how great one is in throwing spears nor in dodging them. This fight is about how we respond – what we do after we’ve dodged. In the mirror, I may have tried hard to dodge and control myself to still be good despite of every bad but though keeping low, I hold a spear in my hand.
                These two kings – King Saul and King David – are both in us. Yes. You and me both struggle with this. King Saul will always emerge and will try to kill the little David.  But it is up to us to let the King Saul in us corrupt our minds and hearts so that the little David would be a new Saul and throw the spear back.  Are we gonna dodge and will never throw the spear back despite of all the chances have and will have? When someone throws a spear straight to us, will we rebel and fight back? Or will we dodge and use the shield of love?
Mich in Grey, Annie in Blue
this 2 met here at camp and has since become Twins.
 Eli calls them "sepatu" which means a pair of shoes. :) 

Look at the mirror! Who is winning? And who will you allow to win? It’s up to you…
Will you be a Saul or will you be a David?


-          - Mich, 25
Batangas



* Pray for Mich as she goes and serve in Zamboanga this summer, facilitating orientation and leading a team to an island... and then to do whatever the Lord has put in her heart starting with the challenging "first step".